APDForum.com is the online version of Asia-Pacific Defense Forum, a professional military journal published quarterly by the Commander, United States Pacific Command. APDForum.com features news and analysis on China, India, the Philippines, Vietnam, Japan, the Koreas and other Pacific nations by paid correspondents. APDForum.com and The Asia-Pacific Defense Forum provide an international forum for military personnel of the Asian and Pacific areas.
Research Organizations / International Institutes
- Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences The Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences (AFRIMS) has been
a benchmark of success in tropical infectious disease research and
development for 50 years. AFRIMS is a dual Royal Thai Army and US Army
command staffed by a highly integrated group of over 300 US and Thai
military and civilian professionals.
- Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences
- The Asia Foundation The Asia Foundation is a non-profit, non-governmental organization
committed to the development of a peaceful, prosperous, just, and open
Asia-Pacific region. The Foundation supports Asian initiatives to improve
governance, law, and civil society; women's empowerment; economic reform and
development; sustainable development and the environment; and international
- Asia Pacific Center for Security Studies The Asia-Pacific Center is a regional study, conference, and research
center with a non-warfighting mission to enhance cooperation and build
relationships through mutual understanding and study of comprehensive
security issues among military and civilian representatives of the United
States and other Asia-Pacific nations.
- Asian Disaster Preparedness Center The Asian Disaster Preparedness Center is a non-profit organization
supporting the advancement of safer communities and sustainable development,
through implementing programs and projects that reduce the impact of
disasters upon countries and communities in Asia and the Pacific.
- Center of Excellence in Disaster Management and Humanitarian
Assistance The Center for Excellence is a leading innovator in disaster management,
humanitarian assistance and fostering stability and resiliency in vulnerable
communities and societies worldwide. The Center provides strategic advice to
military, civilian and international organizations planning for and
responding to complex humanitarian emergencies.
- Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) Established in 1962, CSIS provides strategic insights and policy
solutions to decision makers in government, international institutions, the
private sector, and civil society.
- East-West Center The East-West Center promotes better relations and understanding among
the people and nations of the United States, Asia, and the Pacific through
cooperative study, research, and dialogue. Established by the U.S. Congress
in 1960, the Center serves as a resource for information and analysis on
critical issues of common concern, bringing people together to exchange
views, build expertise, and develop policy options.
- Institute of Defense and Strategic Studies (Singapore) The Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies (IDSS) at Nanyang
Technological University (NTU) was established on 30 July 1996 by Dr Tony
Tan Keng Yam, then Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Defence. On 1
January 2007, ten years after its establishment, IDSS was formally
inaugurated to become the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies
(RSIS). The RSIS mission is three-fold: (1) Provide a rigorous professional
graduate education in international affairs with a strong practical and area
emphasis, (2) Conduct policy-relevant research in national security, defence
and strategic studies, diplomacy and international relations, and (3)
Collaborate with like-minded schools of international affairs to form a
global network of excellence.
- The Japan Institute of International Affairs Founded in 1959, The Japan Institute of International Affairs is Japan's
foremost center for producing and disseminating ideas on international
relations. As an academically independent institution affiliated with the
Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Institute is a source of
authoritative interpretations of Japanese foreign policy. Building on its
work of publication, international scholarly collaboration and policy
recommendation, the Institute is a forum for informed public debate.
- The Stanley Foundation The Stanley Foundation brings fresh voices and original ideas to debates
on global and regional problems. The foundation seeks a secure peace with
freedom and justice, built on world citizenship and effective global
governance. It is a nonpartisan, private operating foundation focusing
primarily on peace and security issues and advocating principled
- The Stimson Center The Stimson Center is a nonprofit, nonpartisan institution devoted to
enhancing international peace and security through a unique combination of
rigorous analysis and outreach. The Center's work is focused on three
priorities that are essential to global security: (1) strengthening
institutions for international peace and security, (2) building regional
security, and (3) reducing weapons of mass destruction and transnational
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute SIPRI is an independent international institute dedicated to research
into conflict, armaments, arms control and disarmament. Established in 1966,
SIPRI provides data, analysis and recommendations, based on open sources, to
policymakers, researchers, media and the interested public. SIPRI is named
as one of the world's leading think tanks in Foreign Policy magazine's
"Think Tank Index".
Professional Military Academic Institutes
- National Defense University (NDU)– Institute for National Strategic
Studies NDU is an internationally recognized graduate-level university with five
colleges and multiple centers of excellence focused on education, research,
and outreach in national security matters. With campuses in Washington D.C.,
and Norfolk, VA, the University’s reach and influence extends to U.S. and
international constituents with students from more than 60 countries
worldwide attending annually.
- United States Naval Post Graduate School – School for International
Studies (SIGS) SIGS offers a variety of education opportunities to U.S. and
international military officers and government officials wanting to advance
the knowledge and skills necessary to meet today's complex and challenging
security environments. The School of International Graduate Studies (SIGS)
conducts research and offers various education opportunities in
international security studies. Programs seek to identify and address
current and emerging security challenges and strengthen multi-lateral and
bilateral defense cooperation between the Unites States and other nations.
- United States Army War College – Strategic Studies Institute
The Strategic Studies Institute of the U.S. Army War College publishes
national security and strategic research and analysis which serve to
influence policy debate and bridge the gap between Military and
- Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) Officers from around the world go to the Naval Postgraduate School in
Monterey, California, to work with world class faculty on real military and
defense problems. At NPS, they gain both the intellectual know how and the
practical skills for improving defense technologies, systems and programs.
Throughout the institution's four schools, its comprehensive institutes and
several interdisciplinary centers and research groups are a wide breadth of
relevant disciplines tailored to the direct needs of national and global
- Pacific Partnership The U.S. Navy’s Pacific Partnership is the dedicated humanitarian and civic assistance mission conducted with and through partner nations, non-governmental organizations and other U.S. and international government agencies to execute a variety of humanitarian civic action missions in the Pacific Fleet area of responsibility. Pacific Partnership is designed to strengthen alliances, improve U.S. and partner capacity to deliver humanitarian assistance and disaster relief and improve security cooperation among partner nations.